I bring over 40 years of IT strategy and management experience as an IT industry executive, researcher, author, educator and management consultant. I have focused on transforming the performance of IT organizations, aligning information technology and business strategies, and the implementation of technology-enabled business change. My career experience and perspective brings together the important disciplines of IT management and organizational change management into a unique and powerful combination.
My roles have included:
- Leading breakthrough research into IT Transformation and Value Realization at the Ernst & Young Center for Business Innovation
- Helping large, global companies align IT capabilities with business strategies, and establishing mechanisms and structures to maintain continuous alignment
- Developing and delivering Business Relationship Management training programs
- Working with senior IT and business executives and their change implementation teams to address the people implications of IT-enabled change to accelerate and strengthen value delivered
- Educating IT and business executives on the strategic and innovative use of IT
I have led many significant multi-client research projects from a groundbreaking IS Leadership Program that studied IT transformation initiatives over a 3-year longitudinal study at 30 leading multi-national corporations, to Capability on Demand, Contemporary Practices in IT Benchmarking, Sustaining Enterprise Architecture and IT Value Realization Strategies. I am a seasoned public speaker, lecturing around the world to business and IT audiences.
My publications include Development Effectiveness: Strategies for IS Organizational Transition (co-authored with John Parkinson) published by John Wiley & Sons, The Annual CASE Report, published by CASE Research, and numerous articles on organizational change and IT management.
Previously, I was an Executive Vice President of nGenera (formerly, The Concours Group) where I led the firm’s IT transformation practice and a Partner at Ernst & Young’s Center for Business Innovation, where I headed the firm’s global research into IT effectiveness and business change implementation. I received my bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Salford in the United Kingdom, and began my career as a computer hardware design engineer. I quickly transitioned from hardware into software, and then into management consulting.
Today, in addition to leading The Merlyn Group, LLC, I’m proud to be a co-founder and Chief Knowledge Officer of Business Relationship Management Institute, Inc. (BRMI) — a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit corporation that provides training, certification and professional development for the Business Relationship Management community. I’m also Founding Partner of Formicio, a Partner with Stryve Advisors, and an Associate with IT Renaissance. Welcome to the world of Charles Handy’s Shamrock Organization!
For a more detailed bio, please visit my LinkedIn profile where you will find many endorsements from my clients and former colleagues.